What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Expatriates in Brisbane typically enroll their children in independent private schools or in the local public school system. The standard of education is high across most areas of Brisbane. Therefore, there is little need to seek out international schools. There are, however, a few independent schools that offer after hour’s ethnic schooling. They are: The Lotes Centre (Languages other than English) and Montessori School, Rudolf Steiner.
↑ Top

What are some examples of these schools?
There are many great schools in Brisbane. Most families will select a school that is easily accessible from the area in which they live. For secondary school-aged students, many expats select well-regarded independent schools such as All Hallows Catholic Girls', Anglican Church Grammar, Brisbane Boys Grammar, Brisbane Boys College, Brisbane Girls Grammar, Clayfield College, Stuartholme Secondary College, and Somerville House. This is only a very small selection of schools you will have to choose from.

Please contact Crown Brisbane for assistance with selecting a school.
↑ Top

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Some of the independent schools have on going waiting lists. If you have a particular school in mind that you really want your child to attend, it is recommended that you contact the school as soon as you arrive in order to obtain a spot on the list. For entry into public (state run) schools, you need to reside in the zone or boundary of each particular school. You will also need to confirm the local "zone" or "catchment" area with each public school that you visit.
↑ Top

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
There are many opportunities available for children prior to starting school in Queensland. The kindergarten services on state school sites are operated by Crèche and Kindergarten Association – a well-respected, not for profit organisation with a long track record of providing high quality early education programs. Kindergartens often have waiting lists, so newly arrived expatriates will often have to undertake a bit of research to find a place at a local facility. It is also recommended that you contact the school of your choice as soon as you arrive so you are able to obtain a spot on the list. The first year of school for children in Queensland is Prep. Children must be 5 by 30 June in the year they enrol in Prep and they attend five days a week and stay all day. Also, there are opportunities for younger children to interact and socialize at play groups run by local community councils. For more information please contact Crown Brisbane.
↑ Top

How are most kids transported to and from school?
Transport of children to and from school varies depending on the school and location of your home. Most independent schools run their own bus systems. For older children, public bus and train services are common means of transport. Riding a bicycle is another popular option if the distance is not too far. Many parents elect to drive or walk younger children to school or they form car pools and take turns.
↑ Top

When does the typical school year start and end?
Schools in Brisbane run on a four term schedule: Term 1 typically goes from late January through to early April, Term 2 from id April to late June, Term 3 from early/mid July to mid/late September and Term 4 from early October through to mid-December.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Crown Brisbane can arrange an appointment with a consultant to give you an in-depth explanation of local education systems and the curricula available. This consultant can also arrange interviews and assist with enrolment requirements.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.