Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
A current valid international certificate of vaccination against yellow fever is required for travellers entering Australia within six (6) days of having been in or passed through a yellow fever infected area in Africa or the Americas. Check this and any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local Australian consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Medicare is a government health insurance scheme that takes a percentage of annual taxable income from all employed persons in Australia. Medicare covers the costs associated with being treated as a public patient in a public hospital. To be treated as a private patient in a hospital, you will have to pay the associated costs or obtain private health insurance.

Eligibility to Medicare by overseas visitors is dependent on the country of origin and their Visa.

Even those with limited access to Medicare should take overseas visitors health insurance. Medicare does NOT cover temporary residents in Australia. As expatriates are categorized as temporary residents, they will need to make alternative arrangements for health insurance. If you are not certain of your eligibility for coverage, ascertain your visa status (that is the visa classification under which you entered Australia) and contact a Medicare office to check your eligibility.

While private health insurance is not mandatory in Australia, it is strongly recommended. New legislation from July 2012 could affect the amount you pay. If you do not have private health insurance from this date, you could be paying more of the Medicare levy surcharge. If the insurance policy you held in your home country is a member of the International Federation of Health Funds, you may be able to transfer your policy to Australia without penalty - at a similar level of coverage. Check with your insurance provider for more details.

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
"Doctor" (also known as a Medical Practitioner or General Practitioner (GP))

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Telephone numbers for doctors may be found in the telephone directory under "M" for medical practitioners or you may want to ask some of the locals for recommendations. Many of Brisbane's suburbs now have Medical Centres which operate six days a week and employ up to five or six doctors.

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
No, most expats stay within the country for their medical care because health facilities are of an extremely high standard in Australia. Others may wait for a trip back to their homeland to visit their regular doctor.

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Dial 000 for life-threatening emergencies requiring medical, police or fire assistance.

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call 000 and wait for an ambulance or have a family or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics and some suburban hospitals also have 24-hour doctor clinics. Identifying your closest 24-hour emergency clinic is an important first task once you have found a new neighbourhood in Brisbane.

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Pharmacies (chemists) are located in all suburban shopping localities and have signs identifying them.

Is the water safe to drink?
Yes. Brisbane has very good drinking water and it is completely safe.

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.