Brisbane Visas and Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in Australia will depend on the type of visa on which you enter the country (see below links). It is not necessary for a New Zealand citizen who holds an SCV to apply for or be granted permanent residence in Australia. The SCV allows a New Zealand citizen to remain and work in Australia lawfully as long as that person remains a New Zealand citizen.

What kinds of visas are available?
Australia has a large number of visas specifically for migrants, business people and tourists. The visas are listed, along with information on who may apply for them at the website for Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP). It may be useful to engage a Registered Migration Agent to assist you with the visa process. Your local Crown representative will be able to refer you to a Registered Migration Agent in Australia.

What is required to obtain these visas?
DIBP - a Commonwealth Government department - manages all aspects of immigration into Australia.
There are strict criteria for migrating to Australia and the documentation required will vary considerably depending on the category of visa that you are applying for. Ask Crown Brisbane for more information or visit the website for DIBP listed below.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses of business people on a Sub-Class 457 visa - which is the most common type of expatriate visa for business people on international assignment in Australia - may work in Australia. However, there are some Commonwealth and State Government jobs that are available only to Permanent Residents of Australia. Holders of other types of visas should confirm eligibility for spouses to work directly with their migration agent or the DIBP.

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
You will typically use your Passport, Driver's License or your Medicare Card for identification, though some business visa holders will not be able to join Medicare (please ask Crown Brisbane for more details) and will therefore rely on other forms of identification.

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
You will not need to register at a police station or consulate when you arrive in Australia.

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Quarantine and Customs are very strict in Australia and there are prohibited and restricted items. To find out more information on what can and cannot be brought into Australia, please go to the web site listed below for the AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Services) and Australian Customs Service websites, as well as contacting Crown Brisbane.

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Having a valid visa and keeping it updated is essential.

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.