Education in Leeds

What types of schools do most expats in Leeds choose for their children?

Many expats favour private or independent schools (called 'Public schools' in the UK) as state schools have catchment areas for residents. You need to apply for private schooling early.

What are some examples of these schools?

The education system in Leeds is of a high standard. There are a few international schools in Leeds, which offer an International Baccalaureate, but available spaces are in demand. Contact Crown Leeds to help you find the best schooling for your children.

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?

Yes, because the state schools have catchment areas.

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?

Yes, there are many preschools to choose from. See the below link for early education advice.

How are most kids transported to and from school?

Most children travel to school with their parents by car or catch a local bus to school.

When does the typical school year start and end?

School begins in September and ends in July.

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?

State schools rely solely on catchment areas for their enrolments. Private schools are less strict on catchment areas, but prospective students may be required to sit exams for entry. There are also grammar schools, which mean they enroll same sex or religion only. For private and grammar schools, expect to pay high fees.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.