Nanjing Health

Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
There are no mandatory vaccinations for Nanjing. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid
  • Diphtheria
  • Poliomyelitis
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Tetanus
  • Measles-mumps-rubella

Children should also get BCG (Tuberculosis), Meningitis, chicken pox, Haemophilus Influenza B, and Pneumococcal.

In September of every year, Flu Vaccine begins to be available for anyone who wants to avoid the Flu. This is especially recommended for anyone over 65 years old.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Medical insurance is highly recommended. Medical costs are usually paid up front by the patient and then reimbursed from the insurance company. It is also highly advisable that you contact the international clinic by telephone before coming to Nanjing. The only international clinic in Nanjing is “International SOS” and they require a yearly membership fee.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
The local word for doctor is Yi-sheng.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Your insurance provider or employer should be able to provide you with a complete listing of available doctors. For further assistance please contact Crown Nanjing.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
In most cases, this is not required. However, many expats choose to go to Hong Kong because it has the most advanced medical equipment as well as English-speaking doctors. Other areas of preference are Singapore and Japan.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
For emergencies dial:

  • 120 for an ambulance (Chinese-speaking)
  • 119 for fire rescue (Chinese-speaking)
  • 110 for the police (Chinese-speaking)

If one has a medical emergency in Nanjing during off-hours, one may dial International SOS’s 24 hour Hotline in Beijing and they will contact the Local Nanjing Branch: 010-6462-9110
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closet major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you settle in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is: ıı.
To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is safe and is widely available. Most homes get regular deliveries of 19 liter containers of bottled water priced around.

RMB 8-16. Water dispensers should be provided by your landlord as a common kitchen appliance when you first move in.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.