Transit protection

We offer transit protection cover to give you peace of mind during your relocation.

Peace of mind was never so easy to arrange

While we take steps to secure your items in specialist packing materials, it is important to recognise that there are still risks. This is why we offer comprehensive transit protection with policies that offer full replacement cost coverage against a broad range of transit and storage risks.

CrownCare Transit Protection

It is unlikely that your current personal belongings insurer will provide you with protection against the risks associated with international shipping. CrownCare Transit Protection plan is designed to provide the coverage you need against the risks associated to shipments by road, rail, sea or air. CrownCare Transit Protection is jointly underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited and Insurance Australia Limited (trading as CGU Insurance). Policies offer full replacement cost coverage on a door-to-door, full or restricted cover basis.

Why purchase CrownCare Transit Protection?

Crown staff and our service partners, are careful and professional in their approach to minimizing the risks of loss and damage on your shipment. However, it is important to recognise that there are still risks during transit. This is why we recommend that you protect your shipment with a CrownCare Transit Protection Policy.

What will this policy cover?

Our policy offers 'Full Cover' coverage from door to door. This will cover all accidental loss or damage of a shipment, during transit from any external cause, including accidental damage during packing, loading and unloading. It will also cover damage incurred while your belongings are in interim storage at either the origin or the destination warehouse. Stored goods will be covered for up to 30 days at origin and 60 days at destination for no additional cost under the policy. Additional coverage, if your goods are stored for more than these periods, is available at a nominal cost per month. Please note that coverage cannot be extended if your shipment is placed in a self-storage warehouse.

Additional protection

While the policy covers most risks associated with transit, additional protection for the following risks can be added for a small premium.

Mould and Mildew coverage

CrownCare Full Cover Standard protection policy does not cover your belongings for loss or damage caused by a change in atmospheric conditions (such as humidity) during transit that might lead to mould or mildew. Purchase of CrownCare Full Cover Premium protection policy will extend your basic policy to include mould or mildew-based damage. This option is only available if your goods have been professionally packed.

Pairs and Sets coverage

When a damaged item is part of a pair or set, CrownCare Standard protection policy only covers the replacement or repair of the item that has sustained loss or damage. It will not cover any depreciated value as a result of the damaged/missing piece or the possible replacement of the entire set. Example: A three-piece furniture set, comprised of one sofa and two chairs, is included in your shipment. One of the chairs is damaged and requires upholstering. Payment will only be made for the cost of repair to the damaged article, with no consideration for a possible reduction in value of the set. CrownCare Full Cover Premium protection coverage takes into consideration the importance of the lost or damaged item to the pair or set.

Electronic or Mechanical Derangement coverage

 From time to time, an electronic or mechanically operated item will prove to be inoperable upon arriving at destination. Unless there are clear signs of damage to the exterior of the item or its shipping container, the CrownCare Full Cover Standard protection policy will not cover this loss. This situation appears most frequently with computer equipment, stereo systems or other devices where intricate components or circuitry are affected by the constant motion of an international shipment. Purchasing CrownCare Full Cover Premium protection coverage extends your standard policy to include items without visible damage. Items must be professionally packed and less than ten years old .

  • There are two options to choose from:

  1. Provide a full and detailed inventory of your household goods and value them at the amount it would cost to replace at your destination. You may use either the CrownCare electronic form provided on the application or if too restrictive, compile an extremely detailed list and attach to your signed application. Your Crown Consultant will assist you to complete the declaration. Please note that anything not declared will not be covered by this policy.
  2. Alternatively you can declare a lump sum valuation on your shipment. The lump sum replacement value must not be less than A$2,500 per cubic metre for Australian domestic moves and A$3,500 per cubic metre for international moves, plus a replacement value listing of any items worth A$2,000 or greater. Please refer to your Crown Consultant to assist in properly valuing your shipment for lump sum value declaration.

What should I do if I have a claim?

Should you note any issues upon delivery that fall under your CrownCare Transit Protection coverage, notify your Crown Consultant immediately and they will provide you with a claim form and instructions to follow for completion of your claim.