What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in your city?
When searching for a place to live, some important factors to consider are safety, location preference and individual needs. Depending on your preferences, you may want to find a place close to work, school, shops, medical facilities and, most importantly, an area that is secure and safe. Choosing the right place to live is essential to having a pleasant and safe stay in Surabaya. Also, it’s important to select an area that suits your lifestyle.
↑ Top

What are the most popular neighborhoods in your city for expats?
Most expatriates moving to Surabaya choose to live on the west side of Surabaya because of the following:

  • West Surabaya has the largest expatriate community compared to other ¬†areas in Surabaya
  • Amenities: International schools, supermarket with imported goods and golf courses that mostly are centered in the west
  • Close distance to the toll gate
  • Wide variety of housing options available (high-rise apartments, low-rise serviced apartments and gated homes)

Below are a few popular neighborhood areas in West Surabaya:

  • Graha Famili - Prestigious housing area that provides single-family gated homes as well as high-rise apartments
  • Darmo Satelite Town - Clustered housing area; a good option for those seeking large, spacious homes
  • Citraland - Known as the Singapore of Surabaya; residential estates
  • Puri Matahari - High-rise serviced apartments, from studios to duplexes
  • Graha Residen - Low-rise serviced apartment

↑ Top

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?
Expatriates usually rent rather than buy. Surabaya's rental housing is not cheap, but compared with Singapore, it is still possible to find very attractive housing at a reasonable price.
↑ Top

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?
In most cases, you will have to pay a minimum of two years' rent prior to moving in for houses and one year for apartments. For homes, a security deposit is typically not required, and for apartments, it is normally equivalent to one month’s rent.
↑ Top

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?
Utilities are considered an extra expense.
↑ Top

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?
For the most part, Surabaya is a safe city, but break-ins and robberies of residences do happen. It is good to know that most residential compounds and apartment buildings have security guards. If you intend to live in a house, consult with your neighbors about hiring a security guard.
↑ Top

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in your city?
The electric current in Surabaya is 230 volts. The electrical Hertz (Hz) is 50. Some smaller cities in Indonesia are still using 127 volts, but this will eventually change.

If you are coming from the U.S. or an area that uses a different power system, you will need to use a transformer. Kitchen ranges and refrigerators are often supplied by landlords, but washing machines are not. Most houses and apartments are fitted with air conditioning units, because most foreign residents usually need them for the hot months.

Note: If your TV is not PAL-compatible or a multi-system set, it will not receive local stations.
Televisions from the United States can be used for viewing NTSC videos when connected to a compatible VCR. These videos are available at the American Club and at some private vendors.
↑ Top

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?
Please contact Crown Surabaya with any additional questions or concerns.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.