As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in Australia will depend on the type of visa on which you enter the country. New Zealand citizens may live and work in Australia without a visa. However, they no longer have automatic right to permanent residency and must apply for this through the Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP) website:
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Australia has a large number of visas specifically for migrants, business people and tourists. The visas are listed, along with information on who may apply for them, at the website for DIBP. It can be useful to engage a Registered Migration Agent to assist you with the visa process. Contact Crown Melbourne for details.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
The DIBP, a Commonwealth Government department, manages all aspects of immigration into Australia. There are strict criteria for migrating to Australia. The documentation required will vary considerably, depending on the category of visa that you are applying for. Again, the website will be able to assist you further or Contact Crown Melbourne for more information.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
The spouse of a business person on a Sub-Class 457 Visa (the most common type of expatriate visa for business people on international assignment in Australia) may work in Australia. However, there are some Commonwealth and State Government jobs that are available only to permanent residents of Australia.

Holders of other types of visas should check with their migration agent or the Department of Immigration & Border Protection to determine if the spouse is allowed to work.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
You will typically use your driver's license, current passport and visa or your Medicare card for identification, though some business visa holders will not be able to join Medicare (ask Crown Melbourne for more details). These individuals must rely on their driver's license and current passport and visa. Please note if your licence is not in English it must be translated in English by an accredited Translation Institution.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
You do not need to register at a police station or consulate when you arrive in Australia.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Quarantine and Customs are quite strict in Australia. Information about prohibited and restricted items can be obtained from the Australian Quarantine Inspection Services (AQIS) and Australian Customs Service (ACS) websites. Please contact Crown Melbourne with any questions.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Having a valid visa is essential.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.