Dublin Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

All European Union nationals, citizens of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are permitted to live and work in Ireland freely. Nationals of certain countries only are allowed to visit Ireland visa free. All other nationals have limited permission to enter Ireland, depending on their particular circumstances, i.e., whether they are working, studying, inter-company transferees, artists, entrepreneurs etc. Nationals of certain countries will also require visas to enter Ireland in addition to the work permit ; these must be obtained before they travel to the country.

Please note that transit visas are required by the citizens of the following countries:

  • Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Cuba
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Ethiopia
  • Eritrea
  • Georgia
  • Ghana
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Lebanon
  • Moldova
  • Nigeria
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Ukraine 
  • Zimbabwe

What kinds of visas are available?

The main work permit visa routes are Critical Skills Permit, General Employment Permit, Intra- Company Employment Permit, Business visitor visa.

What is required to obtain these visas?

The employment permit must be obtained first. There are strict requirements on work permit eligibility. The permit is issued by Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment. Only with that  the visa nationals apply for entry permit at the Irish Consulate at the country they reside in. 

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Spouses of European Economic Association (EEA) nationals are permitted to live and work in Ireland provided their spouse is in Ireland. Not all non-EU/EEA spouses or married to non-EU/EEA individuals will be permitted to enter/ work in Ireland – this would depend on the type of employment permit issued to the main applicant. 

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

The main form of identification in Ireland is a passport obtained from the embassy of the individual's country. Non-EU/EEA citizens are also required to register with the police (Gardaí) and are issued with a Residence Permit/ Garda National Immigration Certificate. This is obtained at the Garda National Immigration Bureau in Dublin or at the main Garda Station if the individual lives outside the Dublin metropolitan area. Application must be done in person and a valid passport as well as all other documents supporting applicant’s situation, such as a work permit, student papers, marriage certificate, etc.are required. Dependent spouse must be accompanied by their husband/wife and must also provide their passport and valid papers. 

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you are living and working in Ireland, you must apply for a PPS Number (Social Security) at the Depot of Social, Community and Family affairs. You must apply at the nearest local office from your residence.

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

It is highly recommended that you do not bring any firearms or illegal substances into the country.

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

Individuals with a criminal record or those who have been refused entry to other countries for whatever reason should be very careful that all documents are in order before traveling. It is also very important once in Ireland that you keep all your papers up to date and do not overstay the time allotted. Please note that it is possible in most cases to extend your stay, provided an application for extension is made before your current visa expires. Typically, it takes up to 10 days for visas to be issued.

Useful Links

Government of Ireland:
Citizens Information
Naturalisation and Immigration Service