Yangon Accommodation

What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in your city?
When searching for a home, keep in mind that there are problems with electricity and water supplies in Yangon. If you rent a landed property, you will need to arrange security guards.

Serviced apartments are very popular, as they have amenities, such as swimming pools, tennis courts and gymnasiums. Usually, these places also have general stores that sell foreign goods.

Proximity to an international school may also be a factor to keep in mind during the home search.
↑ Top

What are the most popular neighborhoods in your city for expats?
Popular areas for expats to rent landed property include University Avenue, Inya Road and Parami Road. Apartment or condominium complexes include Shangri-La Residences, Sedona Residences,Sakura Residences, Marina Residence, Espace Avenir, Micasa Residence and the Golden Hill Tower.

The above-listed areas are not very far from international schools or the main expat shopping centers.
↑ Top

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?
It is not possible for a foreigner to own land or a home in Yangon, therefore, expats rent.
↑ Top

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?
Standard residential lease term is 12 months. You might be required to furnish twelve months' rent upfront. The rents can range from US$1,000 to US$10,000 per month, depending on the type of dwelling.

Rather than a deposit, you might pay a broker’s commission. A fee equal to about one month’s rent is standard if you are looking for a gated, single-family home.
↑ Top

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?
Generally, utilities are extra, except in the serviced apartments.
↑ Top

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?
In general, Yangon is quite safe.  All of the apartment complexes have around-the-clock security.

However, hiring day and night watch is highly recommended when living in a rented house.
↑ Top

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in your city?
The current is 230 volts, 50 Hz. Therefore, appliances from the US and Japan will not be compatible. The plug shape can vary from the British style three-pin plug to a two-pin configuration. You may wish to bring plug adapters.
↑ Top

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?
The quality and availability of accommodation can vary. Please check with Crown Yangon before arrival for the latest information on rental levels and available options.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.