Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
Before arrival, you should consult your local doctor for the latest advice and to review the status of previous inoculations. It is recommended that you follow the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) for vaccinations of foreigners coming to Myanmar. The following are usually recommended:

  • Hepatitis – both  A and B types
  • Cholera
  • Tetanus
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Malaria

Please note that malaria is a major problem in many parts of Myanmar. It is transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito. Although a 100-percent-effective prophylaxis against malaria does not exist, the most recommended drugs are Larium (mefloquine) and Doxycycline. You should always consult your doctor before commencing a course of these drugs.

However, Malaria is not a major problem in the city of Yangon. Therefore, it is not recommended that you use malaria prophylaxis if you will not be leaving the city. But if you are traveling outside of Yangon, you should consult a doctor or medical advisor for advice.

Basic preventive measures are the most effective form of defense, especially covering your arms and legs at dusk and dawn when the mosquitoes are most prevalent. Mosquito repellent and sprays are also recommended.

Dengue fever, transmitted by the Aedes mosquito, is also prevalent in some parts of Myanmar, especially during the monsoon season. Preventive measures (as above for mosquito bites) should be used.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Local hospitals are not up to the international standards you would enjoy at home. Therefore, it is recommended that you register with the AEA International SOS Clinic. They run an emergency service and can also arrange an air evacuation to Singapore or Bangkok.

AEA International Clinic
37 Kaba aye Pagoda Road
Phone (clinic):  +95 1 667 879, 667 871
Phone (24-hour hotline):  +95 1 667 877
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Saya Wun is the local word. However, most locals can easily understand “doctor.”
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
For first aid, it is highly recommended that you become a member at the AEA SOS Clinic.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
For further and special medical treatment, Bangkok and Singapore are the places to go.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
AEA International Clinic 24-hour hotline:  95 1 667 877
Fire/Police/Emergency - 199
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
Again, it is advisable to call the AEA SOS Clinic.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Most of them post the Red Cross logo in front. It is called say khan in the local language. 

Specialized medicines may be difficult to find in Myanmar. You may wish to bring ample supplies of necessary medications with you along with a letter from your doctor.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is advisable not to drink tap water unless you are sure it has been fully treated. Clean bottled water is widely available and can also be delivered to your home.

Be sure that any ice you're using is from a clean and reliable source. If you are unsure, do not consume.  Gastrointestinal upsets are common.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.