9 tips: How to make a smooth transition when you return home
March 25, 2015
Whether you’ve been on an overseas assignment or lived abroad for personal reasons, returning home can take some adjustment for both you and your family.
When you return home, you’ll probably be excited to see your friends. Things may not be the same, though, as when you left. Friends may no longer share the same interests or may have found new friends. Your favorite stores may have been replaced. Things are just different. The longer you've been away, the longer it usually takes to successfully “come home.”
Use these nine tips to help you and your family make the adjustment, before and after:
- When your employer has confirmed your return date, share it with colleagues, family, and friends.
- Prepare your family members for the move. Talk to your children about the positive changes they’ll experience and how they’ll be able to reconnect with their old friends and family.
- Take time to say goodbye to local friends and colleagues that you’re leaving. Take photos, collect addresses and make plans to stay in touch with close friends.
- Make housing and school arrangements in your home country.
- Make necessary arrangements for return shipping of household goods, transportation of pets and removal of goods from storage.
- Reconnect with friends and family. Socialize with others and create new life routines.
- Be flexible, patient and maintain a positive attitude – all very important to help you ease back into your daily activities.
- Use your expat experience to connect with people with similar experiences. Share advice with colleagues going abroad or coming back home.
- If you studied a foreign language abroad, use your experience to volunteer with immigrants, foreign nationals or exchange students.
A foreign assignment can be an enriching, special time in the life of your family. Prepare well for the return home and when you’re back, talk about the experience and cherish the memories you’ve made together.
As a global company, many of Crown’s employees have lived abroad and returned to the US. The knowledgeable and caring experts in our Dallas office and throughout the United States would like to help you with your relocation.