A Halloween recipe from the Crown family
October 29, 2015
Halloween is nearly upon us and as more and more people celebrate this festival around the world, we’re pleased to share a seasonal recipe from the Crown family cookbook.
Many of us collect and share recipes that become family favorites over time. Last year we collated recipes from Crown teams around the world to share them with our clients and customers. Here’s a Halloween favorite to add to your festive feasts this weekend.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Recipe provided by Sarah DeHayes, Director of Implementation Services, Crown World Mobility.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas Mark 4
- Place oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugars, oil, egg, and vanilla until combined. Mix in the flour mixture until just moistened to form dough - be careful not to overmix.
- Drop mounds of the dough (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Filling: With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Assemble the whoopie pies: Spread a heaped tablespoon of filling on the flat side of half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies. If soft, chill for 20 to 25 minutes.