Ten useful tips for moving with teens to Turkey
October 5, 2015
How do you think teens would react to a moving decision to Turkey? Usually parents make main life decisions without bringing their children into the firsts discussions and announced the decision when it’s already been made. This makes children feeling frustrating and powerless.
If you are considering a move, try to bring your teens and older children on the previous discussion. If you end up relocating, they’ll feel that they had something to say, which could make a difference for their new lives.
Some guidelines on including your kids in the early discussion and once you have made the decision for moving.
- Listen to their concerns.
- Assist them write their own pros and cons list.
- Let them help in the research of schools and neighbourhoods.
- Travel with them in the preview trip to your new country.
- Make a competition of who can find the coolest place or hobby to do your new location.
- Try to contact the local Internet service provider to have Internet connection up and running before move-in day.
- Let them make decisions on the color, layout and décor of their room.
- Even though you’re busy settling in, make sure you take time to enjoy the “cool stuff” your teens researched.
- Choose in activities where they can meet other kids with similar interests.
- Start a piggy bank with spare change to save up for a best-friend or family visit.
The more involved they are in the decision and process, the more likely everyone is to make a successful transition.