Please select the country

Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no vaccination requirements to enter Canada. However, it is important to bring any medical certificates and records from your home country. Also consider bringing any special medicines you may need. It is always good to stock up for the transition period and put the medicine in your carry –on bag. This also makes the clearance process at Canadian customs flow more smoothly. Normal childhood vaccinations of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) and polio should be up-to-date.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care for each province or territory provides residents of Canada a provincial health care plan covering most necessary medical services. On arrival, you should seek more information on health care - don't wait until it is needed.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

Doctor, Physician and/or MD (Medical Doctor).
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

One option is to check your new city's health websites. Another is to seek referrals from already established expatriates in your new home town. Everyone's needs are different, so find a provider that you are comfortable with.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, Canada has one of the best health care systems in the world. Excellent hospitals, clinics and doctor's offices are located in most communities. Their services are usually free of charge to all residents of Canada registered under the national health insurance program.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 911 to summon help in the case of life-threatening, or in-progress medical, fire and police emergencies. The call center will forward your call to the appropriate emergency center.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If you or your family member's medical condition is ambulatory and stable, you may opt to take the patient to a nearby hospital emergency department. Doctors, nurses and other hospital staff are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Otherwise, dial 911.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

The local pharmacies are referred to as "pharmacy" or "drug store." They are located all over the city and in all communities. They can also be found in the local phone book under the "pharmacies" heading.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

The drinking water in Vancouver is clean and safe for consumption. Water purification plants and sewer systems must meet approved government standards and are monitored via quarterly reports.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;