Please select the country

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
As a foreign national, you will be considered a temporary resident in India. The correct type of visa is required to enter and reside in India.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Employment Visa: This is the correct type of visa if you are coming to Bangalore for employment through your employer in India, wherein the endorsed visa contains the details of the employer’s name, legal entity, location and the duration of visa. Your spouse and minor children can accompany you on this visa.

Business Visa: This is the correct type of visa if you are visiting Bangalore for your business requirement and staying for a few days to 6 months. This is usually valid only for a stay of 180 days on a single visit despite the validity of the visa. Your family cannot accompany you on this visa.

Tourist Visa: Tourist visa is given to those visiting India for tourism or other non-business-related purposes and can also be granted to an accompanying partner and children. It is valid for 6 months to 10 years. Ten-year visas are available only to US citizens under a bilateral arrangement. Irrespective of the duration of validity of visa, on each visit the maximum period of stay in India is limited to 6 months (180 days). Further, there should be a gap of 60 days before the next visit to India. The tourist visa cannot be extended or converted to any another visa.

Dependant Visa (Entry Visa): This is the correct type of visa for the spouse and other minor children accompanying the employment visa holder. Further, an entry visa holder cannot be employed while they are in India. If your spouse is interested in working in the country, he/she should apply for an employment visa from the home country or the country of last assignment.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Processing a visa for India is a relatively straightforward process. However, it is very important to check that you are applying for the correct visa, as it is not possible to change your visa type once you are in the country. Application for a visa should be made at the country of origin or country of last residence (only if you are a resident for 2 years or more). Further, one should always apply for a multiple-entry visa. This is needed in case of any travel outside India undertaken by the employee during the period of assignment in India.

Immigration Process & Documents Required

One should possess a passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of processing _ the visa for
India and must contain 4 blank pages.

  • Children/infants should have their own passport.
  • The employment visa application and the appropriate visa application for your accompanying family members (if relevant), and the supporting documents listed below, outside of India at the Indian Embassy/Consulate in your country of legal residence (see details below) in person.

Documents required to be lodged with the Indian Embassy/Consulate

  • The original passport of the main applicant and passports of each accompanying family member
  • Completed visa application form – please forward a copy of the completed forms to us by fax or email for checking prior to your lodging with the Indian Embassy/Consulate in your current location of residence.
  • Two (2) original passport-sized photographs for you, and each accompanying family member
  • Copy of your resume
  • Copy of your marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Copy of your children's birth certificates, if applicable
  • Guarantee and invitation letter from Corporate  (host country)
  • Employment contract with the complete salary details (the minimum salary requirement is US$25000 per annum)

Important information
Please contact the respective Indian embassy in your current location and review the above documents with the visa officer in charge before submitting your applications as the checklist and fee structure may be revised without notification.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses are not allowed to obtain gainful employment while on a dependant visa. However, NGOs and non-profit organizations may be considered as options for part-time work. There are agencies (such as the Overseas Women’s Club) who can assist in locating suitable opportunities for such requirements. If they are interested in working full-time, they will need to obtain an employment visa of their own for which they would have to return to their home country.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
A foreign national arriving in India with the appropriate visa and intending to stay over 180 days in the country is required to register with the Foreigners Registration Office (commonly referred to as FRO / FRRO).

Registration must be completed within 14 days of arrival; there is a fine of US$30 per person for late registration.

After your arrival in India, Crown Relocations, in coordination with your host country HR, will assist you in obtaining your residence permit. This procedure must be done within 14 days after arrival into the country.

Documents required in India for Registration
Forms to be completed when you arrive in India; all family members will need to register:

  • Copies of passport, visa and arrival entry stamp page (Main page, Indian visa page)
  • 5 photographs
  • Letter from the Corporate addressed to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office stating the details of the applicant and where he/she is staying in India and requesting the residential permit. (Handled by India HR)
  • Terms & Conditions of contract of employment
  • Copy of proof of address
  • All applicants need to be physically present at the Foreigners Registration office for registration

The residence permit is usually issued on the same day; the passport and residence permit booklet will provide all necessary official permission documenting the employee's stay in India. This permit has to be handed over at airport immigration during your final departure from India
↑ Top


Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
The required documents announced by the Ministry of Home Affairs–New Delhi are covered under the FRRO, i.e., RP (Resident Permit).
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
There is a high restriction on carrying alcohol, liquor (2 litres per passenger), drugs, firearms or pornographic material into India. There is a mandatory ten-year sentence for possession of even a small amount of drugs.

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Please be aware of the expiration dates of your passport, visa and residential permit and keep them in safe custody. Inform your HR and Crown Representative at least 90 days in advance of the expiration date, in case you plan on staying longer and need it to be extended. Also make enough number of copies to use wherever necessary. Inform the host Crown Representative if you plan to leave the country well in advance, so that necessary documentation can be arranged, if necessary. Furthermore, be updated and seek information on the political and social environment with the embassy during the visa application submission or before your return to India.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative. Alternatively, click here to find out more about our immigration services. 


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;