Please select the country

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in India depends on your country of citizenship, the length of your stay within India, and the type of visa or permit you have been allocated. To enter India, a visitor must have a valid passport. No matter what your nationality, you must have a valid visa obtained from an Indian embassy or consulate.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Employment Visa: This visa is issued if you are coming to India for employment through your employer in India. A post-arrival registration process will be required.

Business Visa: This visa is issued if you are visiting India to explore the possibilities of setting up a business or to participate in; also, if you are a business executive attending business meetings. The Business visa cannot be extended or converted to any other form of visa.

Tourist Visa: A Tourist Visa is given to those visiting India for tourism or other non-business-related purposes and can be granted to an accompanying partner and children. Visa on arrival is granted to nationals of: New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, Finland, Luxembourg, Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia and Myanmar. The maximum period of stay in India is limited to six months (180 days) per each visit. The Tourist visa cannot be extended or converted to any another visa.

Dependent Visa (Entry Visa): This is the type of visa required for a spouse and minor children accompanying the employment visa holder. An entry visa holder cannot be employed while they are in India. If your spouse is interested in working in the country, he/she should apply for an employment visa from their home country or the country of their last assignment.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Obtaining a visa for India is a relatively straightforward process. However, it is very important to check that you are applying for the correct visa, as it is not possible to change your visa type once you are in the country. The visa application should be made in the country of origin or country of last residence (the latter applies only if you have been a resident for two years or more). Furthermore, one should always apply for a multiple-entry visa. This is needed in case of any travel outside India undertaken by the employee during the period of assignment in India.

Generally, one should possess a passport valid for at least six months at the time of processing your visa for India and it must contain four blank pages. Children/infants should have their own passports. The supporting documentation requirement varies based on the visa type for which you are applying. Please contact our Crown India office for further details.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses are not permitted to find gainful employment while on a dependent visa. However, NGOs and non-profit organizations may be considered as options for part-time work. Local agencies can assist in identifying suitable opportunities in such cases. If your spouse is interested in working full-time, they will need to obtain an employment visa of their own, for which they will have to return to their home country.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
A foreign national arriving in India with the appropriate visa and intending to stay over 180 days in the country is required to register with the Foreigners Registration Office (commonly referred to as FRO/FRRO).

Registration must be completed within 14 days of arrival; a late registration will attract a fine.

Applicants are required to be physically present at the Foreigners’ Registration office for registration. The residence permit is usually issued on the same day; the passport and residence permit booklet will provide all necessary official permission documenting the employee's stay in India. This permit has to be handed over at airport immigration during your final departure from India.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
Foreigners who are above 16 years of age have to report in person or through an authorized representative to the appropriate Registration Officer for registration. Medical patients may be exempted from appearing in person for registration.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
You should avoid bringing items classed as contraband. The following items must not be brought into the country:
• Liquor
• Drugs
• Firearms
• Pornographic material

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
There is a mandatory ten-year sentence for possession of even a small quantity of illegal drugs.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative. Alternatively, click here to find out more about our immigration services. 


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;