How well-equipped is this city for those raising infants/toddlers? Specifically, are there public places to change diapers, maintained playgrounds, etc?
Luxembourg is equipped similarly to many large cities in Europe.
Where can I get a list of reliable childcare providers/nannies?
- AFP-Services: AFP is a country-wide association maintaining a list of trained babysitters. AFP follows standards agreed to with the Ministry of Family.
- Aide Familiale Joëlle Stelet: Aide Familiale is a public organization maintaining a list of approved baby-sitters.
- Bonne Nuit maternity: Agency specializing in providing quality maternity nurses to families.
- KidsCare: Four French-speaking crèches in Luxembourg City and one Luxembourgish-speaking crèche in Senningerberg, for children aged 3 months to pre-school admission age.
- Luxembourg Accueil Information: L.A.I. is an association run by volunteers and instructors aiming to facilitate the integration of newcomers in Luxembourg. LAI maintains a list of approved baby-sitters.
Discuss any safety issues for children in this city.
There aren't any issues that are out of the ordinary. Basically, you can't go wrong with exercising caution around traffic and just being aware of what children are up to.
What are the most popular kid-friendly attractions in the area?
- Adventure Island: Adventure park for children and adults at the youth hostel of Echternach
- Euro Space Center: A place to discover everything about space, planets and journeys, including shows and activities for all ages
- Wasserbillig Aquarium: 90.000 litres aquarium with a large variety of fish
- Maya's Kinderparadies: Leisure park for small children with ballooning, pirate boat, birthday parties
- Parc Animalier de Bouillon: Animal park at the Belgian border with local animals and some exotic species
What are the most popular activities for kids after school or on weekends?
Usually schools are very well informed on the various types of activities that children can participate in after school or on weekends.
What's it like to be a teenager in this city? Are there any particular challenges I should be aware of as a parent?
The Centre Information Jeunes provides a place for young people aged 12 to 25 to find information and advice about school orientation, holiday jobs, health issues, training, employment and trips abroad.
Be aware that the minimum legal age for the consumption or purchase of alcohol in Luxembourg is 16. Proof of age should be asked for with each purchase. These rules do not apply in the home where parents may allow younger children to drink if they wish.
Are there any organizations/social groups in the area that cater exclusively to young people ages 12-17?
- British Guides in Luxembourg: Activities in English for girls aged five to 18 within the framework of Girlguiding UK
- Cercle Sportif des Communautes Europeennes: Rugby for children aged seven to 19
- Telstar Scout Group: Scouts association for English-speaking boys aged six and up
- The Little Gym: Birthday parties and children’s entertainment with physical activities, games and birthday cakes
I want my child to get the most out of our stay in this country. Are there any specific opportunities to teach young people about the local culture?
- Printemps Musical: festival of classical, jazz, pop and world music
- Discovery Zone: selection of documentaries, feature films and short films produced or co-produced in Luxembourg and with an international coverage
- Festival International Echternach: classical music concerts from May to July and jazz concerts in September
- All-American Music Festival: the music (and foods) of New Orleans and the American deep south, with performances of jazz, Dixieland, swing, blues, country and gospel music
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.