Transport in Glasgow

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping)?

Many people do drive to work in Glasgow. However, please be aware of parking restrictions!

Glasgow does have a good public transport system.

How can I legally drive a vehicle in Glasgow?

EU members and those from commonwealth countries can exchange licenses on arrival to the UK.

American citizens will need to take a driving test through the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) to obtain a license (after one year in the UK) and obtain insurance, which is a legal requirement.

What side of the road do people drive on?


Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around Glasgow.

It is easy to get around Glasgow by bus or train.

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Yes, there are frequent coaches/buses and trains to other locations in the UK and to the areas surrounding Glasgow.

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

No, although it is wise to be aware that pickpockets operate in public transport areas.

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

You can obtain tickets at the station. You can also buy tickets at local newsagents, online or by phone.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.