Macau Transport

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
Not really, since buses are quite convenient for you to get around in the city.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
Expats need to obtain an International driving license from their country of origin before they can apply for a driving license in Macau.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
On the left.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
In Macau, visitors will find an efficient bus service system, not only in the main city but also on the  islands. Visitors can find the destinations, itineraries and stops in the information panels located at every bus stop. All the buses have air conditioning. Between Macau and Taipa, visitors can catch buses 11, 22, 28A, 30, 33, 34 or the airport bus AP1. Buses 21, 21A, 25, 26, and 26A connect Macau, Taipa and Coloane. There are other buses circulating around the Macau peninsula.

There are plenty of taxis. The flag fall charge is MOP$11.00. There is no surcharge between Macau and Taipa island, but between Taipa and Coloane, a MOP$2.00 surcharge applies; between Macau and Coloane there is a MOP$5.00 surcharge. Moreover, there is a MOP$3.00 surcharge for each piece of luggage carried in the boot (trunk).
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
Yes. For example, expats can take ferries to a surrounding city like Hong Kong in one to two hours.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
The usual safety regulations of any big city apply. Also, driving should be avoided during typhoon and rainstorm warnings.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
For air tickets, expats can book online through airline websites. Ferry tickets are sold at terminals.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.