How well-equipped is this city for those raising infants/toddlers? Specifically, are there public places to change diapers, maintained playgrounds, etc?
Surabaya is a very well-equipped city for those raising infants/toddlers. There are special diaper-changing rooms at most large shopping malls, restaurants and airports. You will also find many parks and playgrounds around the city.
Where can I get a list of reliable childcare providers/nannies?
Finding a reliable child care provider or nanny usually depends on the area where you are living.Neighbors and colleagues are great resources for recommendations. Your neighborhood community center can also be a good resource in finding reliable child care providers within the area. Other resources are local religious organizations and churches that have mother-day-out programs and day care programs. For assistance with finding a nanny, you can contact nanny agencies or placement agencies that offer professional sourcing of qualified care givers or contact Crown Surabaya.
Discuss any safety issues for children in this city.
The concerns of parents in Surabaya are the same as those in other very large urban areas. There is a perception that living in urban areas means a greater risk to children due to higher crime rates. It is recommended that you speak to your local school to find out whether there are any particular concerns specific for your area. Children should always be accompanied and supervised by an adult and should never talk to strangers.
What are the most popular kid-friendly attractions in the area?
- Ciputra Waterpark
- Surabaya Zoo
- Teenage Golf - can be played at many golf courses in Surabaya
- The Loop - located opposite Pakuwon Mall; a great place to bring the children for a family dine-out.
- Pakuwon City - located in the east side of Surabaya; it is a circle filled with many food stalls. The children can enjoy horseback riding and mini cars while you wait for your food to be served.
- G-walk - located in the Citraland complex; a place for a lot of young people to hang out with friends and family. There are many food bazaars which tend to get crowded on weekend nights.
- TimeZone - can be easily found in the shopping malls with various arcade games available in each outlet.
- Taman Safari - a few hours' drive from Surabaya, where children can view the unleashed animals in their natural habitat.
What are the most popular activities for kids after school or on weekends?
Most schools have after-school activities, such as competitive school sports teams and various special interest clubs. They also enjoy going to the movies, game arcades and shopping with friends.
What's it like to be a teenager in this city? Are there any particular challenges I should be aware of as a parent?
Being a teen in Surabaya is similar to other places, as well as being exciting and fun; yet, of course, many parents have their concerns about safety. Much of the life of a teenager revolves around the school that they attend and the neighborhood that they live in. Most teens are involved in some after-school programs, whether in sports or drama club. And, as mentioned above, they love to spend time with their friends and do fun things. Adjustment to any new place takes time, but we feel once they get settled in and meet new friends, they are going to love it here!
Are there any organizations/social groups in the area that cater exclusively to young people ages 12-17?
Local schools and churches are good sources for getting all youth group and activity information for your area as well as your neighbors for getting community-specific information.
I want my child to get the most out of our stay in this country. Are there any specific opportunities to teach young people about the local culture?
- Surabaya Art Festival is an annual event held in June/July.
- Balai Pemuda (Youth Hall) - usually different art events/exhibitions are held every alternate month, ranging from traditional craft festival, choir, bands, etc.
- House of Sampoerna - Situated in "old Surabaya"‚ this stately Dutch colonial-style compound was built in 1862 and is now a preserved historical site. Cited as the top tourist destination in Surabaya, the complex offers a museum, an art gallery, a cafe as well as souvenir shops. Check out the timing for the museum's main attraction: hundreds of girls hand-rolling Indonesia's most prestigious cigarette, Dji Sam Soe, using traditional equipment. They do it at an unbelievable speed.
If you want to have formal education in Bahasa Indonesia, IALF is the institute to do it.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.