Thinking of relocating from Kenya? Follow these packing tips for a smooth move
August 3, 2016
There’s a huge difference between packing for a holiday and preparing for a long term move. Lots of expats relocate every year and find the packing time to be the most stressful part of all the relocation process. If you are thinking of moving, follow these tips to get organized.
- Before packing consider the length of the move – is it a short-term or long-term move? Are you relocating alone or with your family and pets? Moving into a small apartment is a different experience than moving into big house. If the move is for a short-term you may consider the option of placing your furniture in storage, or perhaps sell them before moving. Make a list and select the items you need to take with you.
- Packing alone can be strenuous, mentally and physically and it will have a higher cost than you think, you will need to buy a lot of supplies to pack properly (carton, boxes, tape, markers, bubble wrap, rope, labels…). Besides, packing large items can be really difficult and often requires specialist movers to prevent damage. Professional movers have huge experience and can work better and quickly and they will provide all of the packing materials needed.
- If you are hiring professional movers, consider the timing of the move. Moving company rates tend to be higher at the beginning at the end of the month, and during weekends. It will worth to take a day or two off in the middle of the week, to save some money.
- Clean up one month before the move, this will help you packing only the necessary things and avoid confusions.
- Take time before the moving and start working to make your home in a friendly state for the movers. Start with the unplug of electronical appliances, disassemble anything you can, pack yourself your expensive belongings… This will save you time and stress at the moment of the move.
Good luck and Don’t stress!