What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
International families living in The Netherlands can choose to send their children to either a Dutch or international school. The different international options available are as follows:
- Specific nationality-based international schools (for example, the British or American schools)
- International schools (for children of many different nationalities)
- Dutch school with an international stream (a separate international curriculum at a Dutch school)
- Dual-language schools (education at a Dutch school in both English and Dutch; only an option for children who already speak Dutch)
Many schools popular with international families do have waiting lists. Schools in the Netherlands offer high-quality education. The philosophy behind Dutch education reflects Dutch society and aims to encourage students to be open-minded and able to think and learn in a creative manner. Children attend school from age 5 to age 16 in the following levels:
- Pre-Primary Education
- Primary Education (Basisschool)
- Secondary Education (VMBO, HAVO, VWO)
- Tertiary Education (Vocational Education (MBO and company schools), University of Applied
Sciences (HBO), Research University (Universiteit))
What are some examples of these schools?
International schools are fee-paying, but are an alternative option for families with children who do not speak Dutch. The following international schools are located in The Hague:
- The British School
- The Haagsche School Vereeniging
- The International School of the Hague
Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Many schools have waiting lists. Please contact Crown Amsterdam for current information on the schools you are interested in.
Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Yes, but many pre-schools also have waiting lists. Most of the international pre-schools are affiliated with the international schools mentioned above.
How are most kids transported to and from school?
Most international schools have school bus transportation. Public transport or travel by bike provides other possibilities.
When does the typical school year start and end?
August to June
Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Some local schools may have an international department. Please contact Crown Amsterdam to learn more.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.