What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Many expats tend to send their children to international schools that offer an American or English curriculum.
What are some examples of these schools?
- The American School of Madrid - college-preparatory program with a U.S. curriculum, for children of all nationalities from age 3 to 18. International Baccalaureate offered to those who qualify.
- International College of Spain - international curriculum for children of all nationalities for students from 3 to 18 years. International Baccalaureate program for primary, middle and diploma years (pre-university 16-18).
- King's College - British education for all nationalities ranging from 18 months to 18 years; day and boarding school.
- Runnymede College - British national curriculum offered to students from 3 to 18 years.
Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
There can be a high demand for spots in the international schools; however, this is countered by the high rotation of students who are only in the city for a determined amount of time. It is worth investigating well in advance. It can vary from year to year depending on economic conditions. etc.
If you are thinking of sending your kids to a local Spanish school, places can be limited as there tends to be a much smaller rotation of students.
Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
- Le Lycée Français de Madrid - French curriculum for children ranging from 3 to 18 years
- Colegio Aleman - Bilingual German and Spanish school following the German and Spanish curriculum for students from 3 to 18 years
- Escuela Italiana de Madrid - Bilingual Italian and Spanish school following both curriculums
- Colegio Suizo - Bilingual German and Spanish school following the Spanish and Swiss curriculums
How are most kids transported to and from school?
Most international schools provide bus transportation services from the housing areas popular with expats.
When does the typical school year start and end?
Early September to late June.
Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.