Please select the country

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

A valid passport is required for entry into Chile and your status will depend on the type of visa on which you enter the country.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

The types of visas available are:

  • Tourist -- valid for up to three months from the date of your arrival. Extensions may sometimes be granted
  • Temporary or Work Visa -- Valid 90 days to one (1) year. Renewing is optional, but the process can be lengthy. If an extension is needed, apply at least 60 days in advance.
  • Contract Visa -- This is similar to a work visa, but is valid for a specific job and for up to two (2) years

↑ Top


What is required to obtain these visas?

Depending on your nationality, you might NOT need a visa to enter Chile. However, if you are required to obtain a visa, you will need:

  • a valid passport
  • four passport pictures
  • the appropriate fee for processing

Visa applications can be obtained from any Chilean consular office. Allow at least one week for processing.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Generally, the spouse of the transferee that holds the principal work visa is not permitted to work in Chile. However, this depends on several factors, such as the nationality and the professional situation of the spouse.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
Each resident of Chile is required to carry a Carnet de Identidad or Chilean identification card, which can be obtained at the Chilean Registration Bureau for a nominal fee. Keep it with you at all times. It contains your full name, thumbprint and an identification number. You must apply for this card within 30 days of arrival in Chile or within 30 days of the date on your visa. You will receive your card within a week.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
A RUT number (which is for tax purposes) can be obtained from the tax office, Servicio de Impuestos Internos, nearest to your residence. This is mandatory. However, it is not the same as the Carnet de Identidad. For most matters, the ID number is used.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Avoid taking the following items into the country:

  • Firearms/weapons
  • Drugs (unless for medical purposes)
  • Pornographic material
  • Plants, vegetables, fruits and perishable foods

Domestic animals can be brought into the country only with the permits and vaccinations required by law. Contact your nearest Chilean consulate or Crown Santiago for more information.

↑ Top


Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Having a valid visa and keeping it updated is essential and if you follow the steps above, you will be fine.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;