Please select the country

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

If living within the city limits, it is not necessary for you to operate your own vehicle. You could easily get by with public transportation. However, having your own means of transport is sometimes very convenient though you should keep in mind that parking spaces can be very difficult to find.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

A US driver's License and driver liability insurance are required for California drivers. As a newcomer, you will have six months within which to apply for a California license. Teenagers can get a learner's permit at age 15½, provided that the permit holder is accompanied by an adult with a valid California license. Both the permit and the license can be obtained at any California DMV office. In order to obtain a license, you will need to take both a practical and a written test. You will have to provide your own vehicle for the practical test.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

Like all other US states, California drivers use the right side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

San Francisco offers a variety of public transportation options. BART (the underground) will take you from the Southeast corner of San Francisco to downtown (and further on to the East Bay). Muni (the San Francisco municipal transportation agency) operates bus and tram/lightrail lines. BART offers money-changing machines at each station while Muni requires exact change (normally $1.25 per trip).
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

California's department of transportation (Caltrans) offers regular departures to the Peninsula and South Bay (by train). There are also buses available that can transport you in any direction (except, of course, west into the Pacific Ocean). Either one of these options can be time consuming.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

None in particular come to mind. Just keep your wits about you at all times.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

BART has ticket machines at its stations and Muni has ticket machines inside the vehicles. You will need exact change to use one of these.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;