What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
The education system in Dubai is extremely diverse as a result of the widely varied expat culture; the school you choose should depend on your child's educational needs and nationality. GCSEs, "A" levels and International Baccalaureate are available, as well as CNEC and the American and Indian equivalent.
What are some examples of these schools?
There are many schools in Dubai; a partial listing:
- American School of Dubai (US - KG1 to Grade 12)
- American University of Dubai (University/Higher Education)
- Cambridge High School (UK - Primary/Secondary)
- Dubai College (UK - Secondary)
- Dubai British School (UK - Primary/Secondary)
- Dubai International Academy (IB - Primary/Secondary)
- Emirates International School (UK - Primary/Secondary)
- GEMS Wellington International School (IB - Primary/Secondary)
- Higher Colleges of Technology (University/Higher Education)
- International School of Choueifat (International - Primary/Secondary)
- Jebel Ali Primary School (UK - Primary)
- Jumeirah College
- Jumeirah English-Speaking School (UK - Primary)
- Jumeirah Primary School (UK - Primary)
- Lycee Georges Pompidou (French - Primary)
- University of Wollongong (Australian Curriculum - Higher Education/University)
- Zayed University (Higher Education/University)
Please contact Crown Dubai if you would like more information.
Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Being a transient country, availability can depend on the time of the year your child will be joining the school. Please note that the majority of the British curriculum schools have waiting lists.
Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Yes. Nursery schools usually interview the child before accepting. English is the most common teaching language.
How are most kids transported to and from school?
Most secondary, primary and even some pre-schools and nurseries operate a school bus system.
Parents also drive their kids to school.
When does the typical school year start and end?
Local schools generally have three terms: autumn, from mid-September to mid-December; spring, from early January to early April; and summer, from mid-April through early July.
Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Crown Dubai can help you find the right school for your kids.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.