Please select the country

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
It is not necessary to own a vehicle, but most families in Adelaide will have a personal car. The public transport system is very good and professionals often use trains, buses and trams (between Glenelg and the city only) to commute to the city.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
If you are a visitor to Australia on a temporary short or long stay visa, you are permitted to drive on your International Driving Permit or your current Overseas Drivers Licence until it expires. If your overseas licence is not in English, you must carry an English Translation of your licence which has been completed by a person accredited to translate. You must only drive the class of motor vehicle authorised on your licence and adhere to all the conditions of your licence. When driving, it is imperative you carry your licence with you at all times as you must be able to immediately present it to a police officer if asked to do so. Once that licence expires you are required to obtain a South Australian Licence. If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia you must surrender your overseas licence and obtain a South Australian Driver’s Licence within 3 months of becoming a resident.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
Australian cars are right hand drive and travel on the left side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
The Adelaide Metro is a statutory authority that oversees the public transport system in South Australia, incorporating trains, buses and trams. Tickets, which allow you to travel on any combination of train, bus or tram, are available for periods of 2 hours, a full day, week or month.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
Yes, regional bus services will run to all major areas and there is a train service for trips to the Barossa Valley. South Australia has a well-developed tourism industry and it is easy to find information on day trips and country excursions around Adelaide.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
As in all major cities around the world, care should be taken when travelling late at night on public transport. Generally, speed limits are 40, 50 or 60 km/h in populated areas and up to 110 km/h on highways and freeways. All local speed limits and other traffic indicators are well signposted. Suburbs and freeways are also signposted. Directions to tourist attractions are displayed on signs with brown backgrounds.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
Tickets may be purchased from the Adelaide Metro Infocentre, small grocery stores, newsagents, post offices and some service stations.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.


Free Moving Quote

The First Step on Your
New Adventure

  • Your enquiry is handled by an expert advisor
  • Form only takes one minute to complete
  • Crown operate in over 200 locations worldwide
..everything went like clockwork and times were all on schedule..;