What’s the big “drawl” about moving to Texas?
October 8, 2015
Texas owns five spots in the top 10 fastest growing cities in the U.S. per the U.S. Census Bureau statistics from 2013 to 2014. In fact, there are over 1000 people per day moving to the Lone Star state with no signs of slowing down. What’s the “drawl”?
Frankly, Texas is a pretty great place to hang your hat. Texas ranks #2 in the Forbes magazine’s 2014 list of best states to make a living. Here are a few reasons why:
- Cost of living – In Texas, you can afford to own a home without having a six-figure income. It comes in 4th as the most affordable state to live in.
- Jobs – Texas boasts an unemployment rate of only 4.1%, ranking in the country’s 10 lowest. Opportunity is knocking for sure!
- No state personal income tax – Gives everyone a bit more breathing room. Texans only pay a sales tax that varies from county to county between 6.25% to 8.25%.
- Weather – If you’re from sunny San Diego, Texas might not be as alluring, but for those in the northeast, the thought of not shoveling snow is quite enticing.
- Schooling – Texas is home to 400 of the best high schools in the U.S. and the graduation rate is 78.9%, higher than New York and California.
- Work/life balance – There are no 80-hour weeks in Texan culture. “Work hard while you’re there and play hard when you’re done” seems to be the motto for most in Texas.
- Friendly people – Maybe it’s because in Texas you have more personal space—50 to 100 people per square mile versus over 1000 in NJ—but it would be hard to find another place with so many kind souls. Then again, maybe it’s the sunshine and lack of snow.
- Lots of things to do – Whether you like the great outdoors or city slicking, you can find both here in Texas.
- Sports and entertainment – Football is BIG. It’s hard not to get caught up in those Friday night lights. But there’s a world of other choices, from ballet to bowling, rugby to rodeo. And Austin is known as the live music capital of the world.
- The best food EVER! – There’s a seemingly endless choice of really great food. Whether you prefer organic, Indian, BBQ, Mexican, fusion, raw, fast or fried, you can find it here.
- Best state spirit – Everything is bigger in Texas and few other places can rival the sheer passion that Texans have for their state.
Like their food, Texas has a little bit of something for everyone. If you are considering a move to the Republic, check out the cost of living comparison calculator. It just might help you make the decision. For more information, just give us a call at our Houston office or complete the free online quote request to take the first step toward a life in Texas.