Update from Visa Processing in South Africa
September 8, 2015
The VFS South Africa (Visa Processing) has with effect from 31 August 2015 amended the process for all applications done through the VFS. The following applies to new and existing applications. The VFS will no longer allow Electronic Transfers for payments. Service fees must be paid for via debit or credit card and cash deposits at the bank.
You will no longer be able to book an appointment without a payment. To secure an appointment you will need to make payment.
1. Complete the correct online application form – ensure that you know which application you are applying for and make sure that you have all the relevant documentation available prior to making application. For a guide to visa and permit categories see the site.
2. After completing the online application form, you must pay the VFS Global Service fee of R1350 (R2500 for the DHA Premium Visa and Permit Services Centre for Corporate Clients) via debit/credit card or cash deposit into a bank in order to schedule and secure an appointment online for your visit to the VFS Global Visa and Permit Facilitiation Centre (‘VFS Global Centre’). The DHA fee may be paid later but the R1350 (R2500 for Corporate Clients) must be paid up front. We suggest that all the fees be deposited at once. The DHA may only be paid using visa credit or debit card at the VFS Global Centres or into the VFS Global bank account with Standard Bank. No payments may be made at the VFS Centre.
3. Payment may be made in two ways :
a. Online payment via debit / credit card through the secure online portal;
b. Payment at Standard Bank by downloading and completing the electronically generated bank receipt and depositing cash into the nearest Standard Bank Branch. If you pay using Standard Bank, you will need to allow 3 working days to allow the payment to be processed, after which you must re-visit your online application form to schedule your appointment. (See rescheduling below)
4. The VFS may take up to 72 hours to provide you with 3 to 4 possible dates for your appointment. It is no longer immediate as there have been too many people making bookings and not honouring their bookings.
5. Once the payment has been received you can dowload the completed online application form and the required documentation checklist and your appointment will be confirmed.
6. You must ensure that you have all the required documentation as per the documentation checklist.
7. You must visit the VFS Global Centre on your scheduled appointment date, at the scheduled time.
a. Rescheduling an appointment
Once the appointment has been confirmed, you are allowed to reschedule your appointment up to a maximum of two times.
Rescheduling is allowed up to and on the day of your scheduled date of appointment. To reschedule, use the reschedule link when logging into your online application
b. No shows and Cancellations
Except in the case of your death or hospitalisation, cancelling or no shows (failing to arrive at a scheduled appointment) will result in you forfeiting (losing) R850 per person, which will be deducted from the VFS service fee of R1350. Please note in respect of all applciations for the DHA Premium Visa and Permit Services Centre for its Corporate client failure to arrive at a scheduled appointment will result in you forfeiting (losing) R850 per person, which will be deducted from the VFS Global Service fee of R2500.
There will be no fee charged if you are unable to honour the appointment due to your death or hospitalisation.
On the day of your appointment you should arrive at the VFS Global Centre 15 minutes before your appointment. Bring your appointment letter, all required documentation and a valid passport or travel document.
Crown SA and their service providers will assist further on the day by accompanying the applicants in the normal manner.
Electronically scanned fingerprints and photographs are taken at the VFS Global Centre. Your application cannot be processed if you do not submit your biometric information. All children and infants will also provide their biometric data (as required by Home Affairs).
This includes a digital finger scan (all 10 digits/fingers) and a digital photograph. The finger scan procedure uses an electronic scanner and no ink, liquid or chemical is used. You should ensure that your fingertips are free from any forms of decoration (for example henna), cuts, abrasions, or other markings as these may affect your ability to provide acceptable finger scans.
Your digital photographs are taken of your full face and without sunglasses or tinted spectacles, or head covering unless it is worn for religious or medical reasons. Your face should be clearly visible with no hair across the eyes.
For collection of the outcome or endorsements, this is done as per normal where we will require the original passport from the assignee and his /her family applications that have been submitted. An authorisation letter containing the assignee and family name and passport number, as well as name and identification number of the representative must be submitted for outcomes. The representative will submit a copy of their ID to the VFS Global Centre on collection of outcomes. The authority letter and copy of the ID of the representative will be retained by VFS Global Centre.
Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact our experts in South Africa.