Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no vaccination requirements to enter Canada. However, it is important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country. Also consider bringing any special medication you may need. It is always good to stock up for the transition period and put the medication in your carry-on bag. This also makes the clearance process at Canada Customs flow more smoothly. Normal childhood vaccinations of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) and polio should be up-to-date.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for each province or territory provides residents of Canada a provincial health care plan covering most necessary medical services. For Alberta residents, you must have Alberta health insurance to use the funded health care services. You are eligible for the Alberta Health Care if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or convention refugee

  • You have submitted an Application for Landing and have satisfied the medical requirements for landing

  • You are a foreign worker who holds a valid employment authorization, which names a Canadian employer and your prospective occupation, and is valid for at least six months

  • You are a spouse, same sex partner or dependent child of an eligible foreign worker who is to be employed in Alberta for a period of at least three consecutive years and;

  • You make your permanent and principal home in Alberta

  • You are present in Alberta for at least 153 days in any 12-month period

For health insurance, you must complete an application form. All Canadian and permanent residents are eligible for a health insurance card. In some provinces, temporary workers, students and some others in Canada on a temporary basis are also eligible. There is a three-month waiting period which begins the day you establish or re-establish residence in Alberta. For more information visit the government health website listed below.

To apply for a health insurance card, you will need to apply to the Ministry of Health in the province or territory where you live. You can obtain an application form from the provincial ministry of health, or in any doctor's office, hospital or pharmacy. It is recommended that you apply for this card as soon as you arrive in Canada. You will need to show your birth certificate, confirmation of permanent residence (IMM 5292) and your passport. Please note, that everyone in your family requires their own individual provincial health insurance card.

If you have your own health insurance bring all your information with you when visiting the doctor or hospital.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

Doctor, Physician and/or MD (Medical Doctor).
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

To choose a doctor, asking a friend or co-worker to recommend one is often very helpful. A list of doctors and their specialties are also listed in the local telephone book. Sometimes it will also list the languages they speak. If all else fails, your insurance carrier should be able to inform you on which hospitals and doctors are best suitable for your needs.

Please see the Useful Links section for doctors currently accepting patients.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, Canada has one of the finest health care systems in the world. Excellent hospitals, clinics and doctor’s offices are located in most communities. Their services are usually free of charge to all residents of Canada registered under the national health insurance program.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 911 to summon help in the case of life-threatening, or in-progress medical, fire and police emergencies. The call center will forward your call to the appropriate emergency center that is required.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If you or your family member's medical condition is ambulatory and stable, you may opt to take the patient to a nearby hospital emergency department. Doctors, nurses and other hospital staff are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Otherwise, dial 911.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

The local pharmacies are referred to as Pharmacy and/or Drug Store. They are located all over the city and in all communities. They can also be found in the local phone book under the “Pharmacies” heading.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

The drinking water in Calgary is clean and safe for consumption. Water purification plants and sewer systems must meet approved government standards and are monitored via quarterly reports.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.