Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
The only vaccinations required for entry into South Africa are yellow fever and cholera. It is also advisable to take precautions against malaria if traveling in a high-risk area.

South Africa is currently suffering from an AIDS epidemic; prevention and education campaigns are ongoing to educate the populace about the disease.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
There is no national health scheme in South Africa, so it is advisable that you take out adequate travel insurance to cover medical expenses prior to your arrival. There are, however, state-run hospitals where the cost of the treatment is minimal and medicine is dispensed at no cost. If the situation is not an emergency, be prepared to queue. There are also private clinics where you can seek treatment; many of these fall under the jurisdiction of NETCARE services (a private healthcare provider). These include:

Westville - 7 Spine Rd., Westville - Tel. (031)265 0911
St. Augustine's - 107 Chelmsford Rd., Berea - Tel. (031)268 5000
Kingsway - 607 Kingsway, Amanzimtoti - Tel. (031) 904 3600
Umhlanga - 323 Umhlanga Rocks Dr., Umhlanga - Tel. (031) 560 5500
Parklands - 75 Hopelands Rd., Overport - Tel. (031) 208 8181
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Doctor; the word for it in other languages sounds very similar to the English word
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
The Internet is an extremely valuable resource. A brief list of private clinics in and around the Durban area includes:

St Augustine’s – 107 Chelmsford Road, Berea – Tel. (031) 268 5000
Westville – 7 Spine Road, Westville – Tel. (031) 265 0911
Kingsway – 607 Kingsway, Amanzimtoti – Tel. (031) 904 3600
Umhlanga – 323 Umhlanga Rocks Drive, Umhlanga – Tel. (031) 560 5500
Parklands – 75 Hopelands Road, Overport – Tel. (031) 208 8181
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
No, there isn’t a need.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Police: 10111
Ambulance: 10177
Fire Brigade: 361 0000

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
Go to the nearest hospital, to the casualty ward; they are open 24 hours a day.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Pharmacy/Chemist/Apteek. In most cases it is identified by a cross or medicine bottle in a circle.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
Water in most areas is safe to drink, but in the past there have been cases of cholera. Ask a local resident just to be safe.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.