As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in this country depends on the visa or permit that you hold while in the country.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
There are many different types of visas: holiday, work, study, conduct own business and general business, just to name a few. For detailed descriptions of the different visas, contact your local embassy or Crown Durban.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Most visitors will also require a visa, which is available upon application to either the Director General of Home Affairs in Pretoria, or at any South African consulate. A fee of approximately US$30 will be charged on all visa applications. Application should be made at least thirty days prior to departure to the Director-General of Home Affairs, Private Bag X114, Pretoria 0001or any South African diplomatic representative officer outside the republic. Application should be made 4-6 weeks in advance of departure.

Visa policies are subject to change, so it is recommended that travelers check with their local South African consulate to obtain the latest details on obtaining a visa. Please note that members of the media and those entering the country with the intent to do work for religious organizations must obtain the permission of the government in order to gain entry.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Once in the country, an accompanying spouse (husband or wife) may apply for his or her own work permit and it will be considered entirely on his or her own merits.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
The identity book (ID book) is the primary form of identification in South Africa. These can be obtained by applying at the Department of Home Affairs in your area. Driver’s licenses are also widely accepted as ID.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
A valid passport is required of all visitors to South Africa. All visitors also require temporary residence permits, which specify both the purpose and the length of the stay. Visitor, business and medical permits are issued at the point of entry, either in the form of a separate document or a white sticker affixed to the passport. Work permits and student visas should be obtained from the local South African consulate prior to departure. Such permits may be renewed through the Department of Home Affairs no less than eight weeks before their expiration date.

All visas and permits are valid only for the purposes for which they were originally intended. The conditions specified by each MAY NOT be changed while within the country. Anyone wishing to change the conditions of a permit must consult a regional or district representative of the Department of Home Affairs.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Pornographic books and magazines; walkie-talkie radios; feathers, furs, skins, tusks, etc. of animals coming under the protected species regulations; narcotics, drugs, incitements; plant and vegetable products; firearms, ammunition and explosives. 
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
No.  As long as you comply with the laws and regulations of South Africa, you should experience no problems.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.