Sydney Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in Australia will depend on the type of visa on which you enter the country. A New Zealand citizen may live and work in Australia without a visa. However, New Zealand citizens no longer have the automatic right to Permanent Residency and must apply for this through the Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP), a Commonwealth Government department.

What kinds of visas are available?
Australia has a large number of visas specifically for migrants, business people and tourists. The visas are listed, along with information on who may apply for them, at the DIBP website. It can be useful to engage a Registered Migration Agent to assist you with the visa process. Crown Sydney can refer you to a Registered Migration Agent.

What is required to obtain these visas?
DIBP manages all aspects of immigration into Australia. There are strict criteria and the documentation required will vary considerably, depending on the category of visa that you are applying for. Ask Crown Sydney for more information.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses of business people on a Sub-Class 457 Visa, which is the most common type of expatriate visa for business people on international assignment in Australia, may work in Australia. However, there are some Commonwealth and state government jobs that are available only to permanent residents of Australia.
Holders of other types of visas should confirm eligibility for spouses to work directly with their Registered Migration Agent or the Department of Immigration & Border Protection.

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
You will typically use your passport, driver's license or your Medicare card for identification, though some business visa holders will not be able to join Medicare and will therefore rely on their passport or drivers' licenses. Please ask Crown Sydney for more details.

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
No, you do not need to register with any authority when you arrive in Australia.

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Quarantine and Customs are quite strict in Australia and there are prohibited and restricted items. Information can be obtained from the AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Services) and Australian Customs and Border Protection Service websites, as well as from Crown Sydney.

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Having a valid visa is essential.

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.