Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
No vaccinations are required to enter Switzerland, but it is recommended that all travelers coming into the country be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella immunizations (hepatitis B, chickenpox, meningococcal, pneumococci). It is important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country.

Check any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local Switzerland consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Swiss medical facilities and healthcare are among the best in the world and are of a very high standard. However, healthcare is expensive and having insurance prior to arrival is recommended. If you are staying for more than three months, private health insurance is obligatory.

For more information on local providers contact Crown Zurich. You can also contact the insurance broker Travex (flyer is enclosed in the Welcome Pack) directly for immediate assistance.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Doctor: Arzt oder Doktor
Dentist: Zahnarzt
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
If you are searching online, select your city and then search for “Aerzte” in the phone book under "Arzt" for a list of doctors; check for dentists under "Zahnarzt." It is also good to ask your colleagues for some good tips. Your relocation consultant can provide you some addresses, depending where you live.

Universitätsspital Zürich
Rämistrasse 100
8091 Zürich
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 255 11 11

Kinderspital Zürich (Children‘s Hospital)
Steinwiesstrasse 75
8032 Zürich
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 266 71 11

Triemli Hospital (Stadtspital Triemli)
Birmensdorferstrasse 497
8063 Zürich
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 466 11 11

Klinik Hirslanden AG
Witellikerstrasse 40
8032 Zürich
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 387 21 11

Poison Center (Toczentrum)
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 251 51 51

24-hour Pharmacies
Bellevue Apotheke
Theaterstrasse 14
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 266 62 22

SOS Dentist
Available 365 days a year (in the same building as the Bellevue pharmacy)
Tel. 0041 – (0)44 262 11 11
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Considering that Switzerland's medical care is some of the best in the world, this is not necessary. More often, people come from other countries to take advantage of the excellent medical care here.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Police: 117
Fire: 118
Ambulance: 144
Helicopter (Rega): 1414
Helicopter (Air Glacier): 1415
Poisoning: 145
Road help: 140
Help for children and young people: 147
Emergency veterinary services: 044 635 81 11
Emergency Center Zurich - 24-hour referral service with English-speaking operators; provides medical advice and house calls 24 hours a day: 044 421 21 21
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
In case of an emergency, who you call will depend on the type of emergency. All emergency numbers are listed on the first page of your telephone book. If in doubt, call the police (117), who will advise accordingly. Major cities also provide an Emergency Medical Service (Ärztlicher Notfalldienst) where you can call the operator (1811) who has a list of all doctors, dentists, vets and pharmacies on call 24 hours a day.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Pharmacies (called apotheke in German) are recognized by the big green neon cross flashing above the entrance.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
Yes, the water is very safe to drink.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.