Translated content not available for this page
What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Most expats send their children to private schools. Keep in mind that there is usually a waiting list. It is recommended that you contact the school of your choice as soon as you arrive so you are able to obtain a spot on the list.
What are some examples of these schools?
There are a number of private foreign schools available in Penang such as:
- The Dalat School - American curriculum for grades 1 to 12; boarding facility available
- St. Christopher’s Primary School - British curriculum; international primary school and Malaysian children from the ages of 3 to 11
- Uplands School - British and International curriculum; nursery to sixth grade; boarding facility available
- Tenby School - International curriculum and Malaysian curriculum
- Fairview School - International curriculum and Malaysian curriculum
- Prince of Wales Island International School - British curriculum
- Penang Japanese School - Japanese curriculum
- Penang Taiwanese School - Taiwan curriculum
- Straits International School - Kindergarten and nursery, primary to secondary school
For more information on schools and their availability, please contact Crown Penang.
Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Due to the many options available, getting a spot in either your first or second choice is feasible. However, it is recommended that you contact the school of your choice as soon as you arrive so you are able to guarantee a spot on the list.
Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Outside of the programs available for three to four year olds in the international schools, there are not a large variety of pre-schools for English-speaking children in Penang. The most popular one is Montessori, but it has only a few locations. There is a lot of competition for placement spots so it is recommended that you contact the pre-school of your choice as soon as you get settled. For more assistance, contact Crown Penang.
How are most kids transported to and from school?
The international schools usually arrange school buses. The fees vary depending on the distance to the schools. Also, private bus services are available at most schools and arrangements for these are usually made through the schools. It is recommended that you contact the school of your choice to find out more information. Also, many parents form car pools and take turns driving the children.
When does the typical school year start and end?
The international school year usually begins in mid-August or early September and ends in June or July. However, this depends on each school so it is advised that you contact your child's school for exact dates.
Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
All international schools require application fees, which are non-refundable. Please contact Crown Penang with any questions about admissions and fees or to arrange a school search.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.