Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

You will need your own vehicle for daily activities in Austin. There is a bus service available, but the mass transit system is not as well developed as those in the more pedestrian cities like New York.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

In order to operate a motor vehicle in Texas, you will need an international driver's license or a Texas driver's license. You must also have automobile insurance coverage (liability insurance) for the vehicle you are driving.

A driver's license from another country or another state in the US can be used in Texas for 90 days. Thereafter, it will become invalid and you'll be required to get a state of Texas license.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

Drivers use the right-hand side of the road in the U.S.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

More than likely they will operate their own private transportation but an alternative is the Capital Metro Transit--the public transportation system in Austin.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Our local public transportation authority is the Austin Capital Metro. Other options such as Greyhound buses will be available, but private transportation is often the most comfortable and convenient.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

Become acquainted with local roads and freeways as well as local traffic rules. Always follow these traffic rules and always drive with the flow of traffic.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

Our local public transportation authority is: The Austin Capital Metro.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.