What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Perth has one international school based on the US curriculum but has an excellent selection of public schools (government schools), private schools, independent schools (non-government schools), Catholic and other religious schools.

What are some examples of these schools?
There are many great schools in Perth and most families will look to select a school that is easily accessible from the area in which they live. For secondary school-aged students, many expats select well-regarded independent schools such as All Saints College, Christ Church Grammar, Methodist Ladies' College, Guildford Grammar or Penrhos College, but these are only a very small selection of schools to consider when relocating to Perth. For a more complete listing or further assistance, please contact Crown Perth.

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Some of the independent or private schools have waiting lists. For entry into public schools, you need to reside in the zone or boundary of each particular school. You will need to confirm the local zone or catchment area with each public school that you visit.

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
In Perth, children can commence kindergarten if they are aged 4 by June 30. Beginning in 2013, pre-primary will be compulsory for children who are aged 5 by June 30. Most primary schools have an early learning center on site incorporating these pre-school years.

How are most kids transported to and from school?
Most schools operate a bus service; riding a bicycle is another popular alternative.

When does the typical school year start and end?
Schools in Perth run on a four-term schedule: Term 1 is typically from early February through mid-April, Term 2 from early May to early July, Term 3 from mid/late-July to late September and Term 4 from mid-October through mid-December.

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Crown Perth can arrange an appointment with a Specialist Education consultant who can provide an in-depth explanation of local education systems, the curricula available and can arrange interviews, as well as assist with enrolment requirements. Please contact Crown Perth for information and rates.