As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
EU citizens can live and work in The Netherlands with no prior documentation other than a valid passport. There are some restrictions for certain newer member countries, however. As a non-EU resident, you and your company can apply for Knowledge Migrant status. In that case, you do not need a work permit, only a residence permit. In the case that you are not a knowledge migrant and are a non-EU resident, your employer will need to apply for a work permit.

An expatriate intending to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months must register with his or her municipality. The IND in your municipality will also issue a residence permit to you. In some cases, an MVV (preliminary residence permit/entry visa) is needed before an application for residence permit is possible. The IND will check if the MVV and work permit have been obtained.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Before entering the Netherlands for a period of less than three months (either for business or tourist purposes), foreigners from a number of countries need to have a visa. There is an extended list of visa-duty countries that changes every three years.

All non-EU citizens need to have an MVV visa provided by the Dutch embassy or consulate in the transferee's home country when the expected stay in the Netherlands is longer than 3 months. An MVV is a national visa in the form of a sticker in your passport. Exempted from MVV-duty are EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Australia, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Switzerland and Monaco.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Foreigners who need entry visas must request them in person at the Dutch embassy or consulate in their home country. Required documents are a passport and an invitation letter from your employer in the Netherlands. This letter should state your name and date of birth, the purpose of your visit, your passport number, and a description of the relation between you and the company and a guarantee regarding the possible costs made by your visit. You will also need to show a return ticket and adequate travel insurance.

The application for permission to work should be submitted by your employer.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Yes, although a non-EU spouse needs his or her own work permit.
Crown Amsterdam can explain in detail which rules apply in your case.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
Since January 1, 2005, everyone aged 14 years or older must carry an original valid identity document at all times. Failure to produce this original (not a copy) is a criminal offense, although you are only likely to be asked to produce this if you are stopped for traffic violations, for instance, or report or witness a crime.
The following documents are accepted as proof of identity:

  • National passport
  • Diplomatic passport
  • Service passport
  • National Identity Card (if this is legally recognized in your country of origin)

A driver’s license does not count as valid ID.

Anyone requiring a work permit will also receive a residence permit as part of the immigration process.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
All people living in The Netherlands for more than 3 months must register with the municipality.
After registration, EU nationals also need to get a sticker in their passport from the IND. This sticker shows they are legally resident in The Netherlands and have registered with the Dutch authorities. If you are a national from a country outside of Europe, then the IND in your municipality will also issue your residence permit.

Documents needed for registering with the municipality and for obtaining a work permit may include:

  • passport
  • employment contract
  • work permit (if required)
  • employer's statement (werkgeversverklaring)
  • 2 recent color passport photos
  • birth and marriage certificates (please check with Crown Amsterdam to determine if these documents require legalization and/or translation)
  • original rental contract
  • recent salary slips
  • updated CV
  • current employment contract
  • copy of diplomas, degrees, etc.

↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Do not bring weapons or drugs or illegal animal products (e.g., tiger skin) into the Netherlands
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Be sure to extend your permits before they expire.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.