What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Expatriates in Adelaide typically enroll their children in independent schools or in the local public school system. The standard of education is high across most areas of Adelaide and therefore there is little need to seek out "international" schools. However, some schools provide the International Baccalaureate courses (IB) in both primary and secondary schools.
↑ Top

What are some examples of these schools?
There are many great schools in Adelaide and most families will look to select a school that is easily accessible from the area in which they live. For secondary-school aged students, many expats select well regarded independent schools such as Scotch College, Pembroke School, Annesley College, St. Peter's College, Seymour College and Pulteney Grammar School. However, these are only a very small selection of schools you should consider when relocating to Adelaide.

Please contact Crown Adelaide for more information.

These private schools are all Christian-based schools, but have enrolments of all backgrounds. Apart from Pultene Grammar which is located in the city precinct, they are all situated in large, picturesque grounds. Each has a high scholastic focus catering for advanced programs as well as providing specialized programs for students with problem areas. Westminster and Scotch provide agricultural programs within their curriculum. Scotch, Pembroke, Pulteney and Westminster are coeducational schools while Annesley, Seymour and St Peter’s Girls are girls only schools and Prince Alfred College and St Peter’s College are boys only schools. These schools all have classes from Reception through to Year 12. All of the schools provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities embracing sports, outdoor activities, debating, and the arts. The private schools are all very competitive in all areas of sport and have excellent sporting facilities within their campuses.
↑ Top

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Some of the independent or "private" schools do currently have waiting lists. For entry into public schools you may need to reside in the zone or boundary of each particular school. You will need to confirm the local "zone" or "catchment" area with each public school that you visit.
↑ Top

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Most children attend one year of preschool, usually at four years of age, before going to primary school. Preschools are also known as kindergartens, 'kindys' or nursery schools. An increasing number of kindergartens are now providing classes for three year olds, where children have an opportunity to interact with other children of their own age. Most of the private schools also provide preschools catering for 3 year olds and Montessori kindergartens also provide for the younger child. In most suburbs a choice of kindergartens is available. Local councils also coordinate playgroups for younger children in many areas.
↑ Top

How are most kids transported to and from school?
Transport will vary widely depending on the school and location of your home. Most independent schools run their own bus system. Older children frequently use the public buses, while for younger children many parents elect to drive or walk them to school. Riding a bicycle is a popular option for older children if the distance is not too far.
↑ Top

When does the typical school year start and end?
Schools in Adelaide run on a four-term schedule: Term 1 typically goes from early February through mid-April, Term 2 from early May to early July, Term 3 from mid/late-July to late September and Term 4 from mid-October through mid-December.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
It is compulsory for children to be enrolled in primary school by their sixth birthday and young people under the age of 17 are required to participate in full time schooling, training or work for at least 25 hours per week. Students who are not permanent residents of Australia are allowed to enrol in South Australian government schools subject to conditions which are determined by their visa sub-class. The type of visa sub-class determines whether a student will be required to pay full fees or whether they are eligible to be recognised as a local student and pay local fees only.

Crown Adelaide can arrange an appointment with a Specialist Education consultant who can provide an in-depth explanation of local education systems, the curricula available and arranging interviews, as well as assist with enrolment requirements. Please contact Crown Adelaide for information and rates.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.