What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?

Many expats favour private or independent schools (called 'public schools' in the UK), as state schools have catchment areas for residents. You need to apply for private schooling early.
↑ Top

What are some examples of these schools?

The educational system in Bristol is of a high standard. Contact Crown Bristol for help finding the best schooling for your children, or see the listings below for further information.
↑ Top

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?

Yes, because the state schools have catchment areas.
↑ Top

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?

Yes, there are many preschools to choose from. See the below link for early education advice.
↑ Top

How are most kids transported to and from school?

Most children travel to school with their parents by car or catch a local bus. If they live close enough to the school, walking or using a push scooter are also popular ways for children to travel.
↑ Top

When does the typical school year start and end?

The school year begins in September and ends in July. A typical school day runs from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?

State schools rely solely on catchment areas for enrolments. Private schools are less strict on catchment areas, but prospective students may be required to sit exams for entry. It is also possible to enrol at a grammar school; however these are generally based on same sex or religion only. For private and grammar schools, expect to pay high fees.
↑ Top

Useful Links

British Association of Early Education www.early-education.org.uk/

Local private schools www.bristol-online.com/listings/Independent_Schools/all/

Schools Guide www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.