Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

Not necessarily, although most people in Bristol do drive to work. Please be aware of the parking restrictions in place.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

EU members and those from Commonwealth countries can exchange licenses on arrival to the UK. American citizens will need to take a driving test through the DVLA (Driver and Licensing Agency) to obtain a license (after not more than one year in the UK) and obtain insurance, which is a legal requirement.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

The left side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

Typically people using public transport will travel by bus or train. In addition, there are also water-based services in the centre of the city, providing options for commuters on the harbour.

Cycling is very popular in Bristol, with a number of urban cycle routes in place.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Yes, there are frequent coaches/buses and trains to other locations in the UK and to the areas surrounding Bristol.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

No, although it is always wise to be aware of pickpockets operating in public transport areas.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

You can obtain tickets at train stations, local newsagents, on the internet or by phone.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.