Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

For getting around most areas of the Metroplex you will need your own vehicle. There is bus service available in some areas, but the mass transit system is not as developed as in some other major metropolitan areas.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

You can drive with your international driver's license from your home country, but after 90 days you will need to have a Texas driver's license. In addition, it is a state requirement that you must obtain automobile insurance for the vehicle you'll be driving.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

Everyone drives on the right side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) is the public transportation system that is used in the Dallas area and goes as far north as Plano. It is comprised of local bus service as well as commuter and light rail services.

The "T" and the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) are used in the Fort Worth area. The T provides bus and trolley service, while the Trinity Railway Express offers light rail service between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. While in downtown Fort Worth, you can ride the T's regular buses to lunch, shopping or business meetings at no charge. The TRE also offers free shuttle buses from the CenterPort rail station to DFW Airport terminals. Daily and monthly passes are available.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

This is possible with local bus companies such as Greyhound. However, most expats choose to drive their own personal vehicles or rent an automobile from one of the local rental agencies for out-of-town excursions.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

Be aware of local traffic rules. In addition, because highway and road construction is fairly common in the Metroplex, it's always a good idea to use extra caution when in these congested areas.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

Daily tickets or passes may be purchased on board the buses and at ticket vending machines at the rail boarding platforms. Monthly passes may be purchased at local Albertson's, Tom Thumb, and Fiesta grocery stores, or at local DART stores.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.