As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Visitor status is granted to many nationals on arrival (aka “visa-free entry”). The duration visitor status depends on the nationality of the passport. It can range from seven days to 180 days.
Non-exempt nationals are required to apply for a visa prior to entry.
What kinds of visas are available?
Employment, Dependent, Training, Student and Quality Migrant.

Permanent residency application is possible after an individual has completed seven years of continuous and legal stay in Hong Kong.
What is required to obtain these visas?
For an employment visa, the applicant has to provide supporting documents showing the applicant has special skills, knowledge or experience of value to Hong Kong.

The employer in Hong Kong has to support the application by providing a copy of the employment contract, a job description and justifications to hire the applicant instead of locals.

It generally takes six weeks to process an employment visa application. Once approved, Hong Kong Immigration will issue an entry visa label. The label will need to be affixed onto a blnk visa page of the applicant's passport. Immigration status is validated when the visa label is validated by an Immigration Officer upon entry to Hong Kong.

Crown Hong Kong has an in-house immigration team consisting of professional consultants and seasoned coordinators. They provide full assistance throughout the entire visa application process. The team is also capable of assisting with consulate services in Hong Kong such as China visas and the document legalization service.
Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Most of the dependent visa holders are permitted to work in Hong Kong except the spouse of a student visa-holder.
What are the main forms of identification?
A passport is the required identification for a visitor.
Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
Every person at or over the age of 11 years who is permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days is required to register for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days of arrival. The HKID is applied for in person at the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
  • Illegal drugs of all kinds, such as opium, morphine, heroin, cocaine, cannabis and other narcotic analgesics or hallucinogenic drugs
  • Antibiotics, such as penicillin, tetracycline, corticosteroid
  • Controlled chemicals, such as acetic anhydride, ephedrine
  • Firearms and ammunition
  • Weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Textiles
  • Rough diamonds
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.