Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
Hepatitis A and B, typhoid, polio and tetanus shots are advisable. If traveling to rural areas, a course of malaria pills and Japanese encephalitis vaccine are recommended.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Expats will not be refused treatment whether or not they have insurance, however the national health insurance does not cover expats. Therefore, it is very important to have a medical insurance plan with good inpatient and outpatient coverage. You can either go straight to one of the hospitals below and request either a general practitioner or a specialist, or you can attend one of the many health clinics that are found in every mall; for example, Healthway in most malls or Patients First in Glorietta. For these, you take a number on arrival and wait in the queue to be seen by someone from the bank of doctors on duty. These clinics are only open during mall hours.
Hotels and serviced apartments have doctors on call for guests.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Doktor, but everyone will understand "Doctor."  For female healthcare professionals, the prefix is "Doctora."
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Word of mouth. Our welcome pack provides a list of recommended doctors until you have time to find your own.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Basic medical care is available in Manila, but for more complicated medical procedures and serious illness, many expats travel usually to Singapore, Bangkok or Hong Kong. Make sure you have a good medical plan that includes medical evacuations.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

  • Makati Medical Center in Makati: 02 8888999
  • Medical City in Ortigas: general tel 988 1000 or 988 7000; customer service loc 6167 or 6168
  • St Luke's Medical Centre in San Juan:
    279 E. Rodriguez Sr. Boulevard, Quezon City, 1112 Philippines
    Tel: (632) 723-0101 to (632) 723-0301
    Fax: (632) 723-1199
    Emergency Room: (632) 725-2328
  • St Luke's Medical Centre in Bonifacio Global City:
    32nd St. Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, 1634 Philippines
    Tel: (632) 789-7700
    Fax: (632) 789-7599
  • Asian Hospital Alabang:
    2205 Civic Drive, Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    Tel: (+632) 771-9000
  • Fire: 160-16
  • Police: 166/7

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
Call 117 (National Emergency Response Service) or take the patient to the nearest emergency room at the nearest hospital, if at all possible.
Hotels and serviced apartments have doctors on call for guests.
Lifeline Arrows (+632) 722-3897/16-911
Aescor 7495476
Aeromed 9111121
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
All signs in Manila are in English. We recommend you use only branded pharmacies. The biggest pharmacy chain in Manila is called Mercury Drugs, notable with its red signage. Watsons is also available, notably in SM Makati. Hospitals and clinics usually have their own pharmacy, however, these are often more expensive and less well-stocked than the major branches of Mercury Drugs.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
If you have to drink tap water, it is advisable to boil, filter and chemically disinfect it first. Bottled water is widely available but tap water in Makati city is treated with chlorine to give some protection. It is particularly important to buy safe water after a typhoon or flooding, as even the normally reasonable water can be contaminated during these times.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.