As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. In most cases, you must obtain a visa to enter the United States. As a non-immigrant, you are a guest in the United States. While here, you must adhere to the laws of your own country and certainly to those of the United States. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote, hold public office and things of that nature. However, the laws of the U.S. do permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. To find out if you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the website listed below or contact Crown Raleigh.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are numerous visas available. There are visas for visitors and visas for prospective residents. Please review the lists below for the types of visas available in both categories. It is strongly recommended you contact an Immigration Attorney and/or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for further details. You may also contact Crown Raleigh or visit the Web sites listed below to get more information.

Visa Types for Visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/Visitor

  • Border Crossing Card (for Mexican travellers)

  • Diplomatic

  • Inter-company transfer

  • Exchange visitors

  • Students

  • Temporary Workers Overview

  • Media and journalists

  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa Types for Immigrants:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special Immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer sponsored

Please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate to obtain more information.

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States updates its visa policies on a regular basis to increase security for the nation. You will therefore find more stringent security measures in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest US consulate or embassy, or an immigration attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you should be confident that it has been done correctly and legally so that you do not incur problems at a later time.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

There are certain visa classes that allow spouses to work in the United States. Please contact your local US embassy or consulate, or an immigration attorney for further information.

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Upon arrival, you should apply for your Social Security card, which is issued by your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to track your earnings for tax purposes and will be needed to open bank accounts, obtain a driver's licence, etc. A driver's license or identification card from the Department of Motor Vehicles is also valid proof of identity.

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan to work in the U.S., you will need to apply for a Social Security card. This can only be applied for after you arrive in the United States. Please contact the local Social Security office on your arrival or consult its Web site (listed below).

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown Washington DC for complete assistance and ease of importing personal effects.

Basic prohibited items include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered animals and items made from them, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms unless permitted, hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products made by forced labor, firearms and switchblade knives.

Motor vehicles also have specific restrictions. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety to air pollution control standards. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the US are generally dutiable.

The U.S. Customs service has recently made changes its requirements for Alcohol entry. Please contact your Crown Raleigh representative to discuss this in advance.

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

Provided that your visa is valid and you are in good standing with the authorities, you will have no problems staying in the United States as a legal resident. However, please be mindful of the expiration date on your visa because people who overstay their permitted length of time may face deportation and denial of future visits. Make arrangements to have the visa extended well in advance of its expiration date should you plan on staying beyond the initial term.


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.