As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
A non-EU citizen must have a work permit. It is primarily the responsibility of the employer to apply for this permit. 

An expatriate who intends to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months must register with his or her municipality. The Aliens Police in your municipality will also issue a residence permit to you.

In some cases, an authorization for provisional sojourn (MVV) is needed before an application for residence permit is possible. The Aliens Police will check if the MVV and work permit have been obtained.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Before entering the Netherlands for a period of less than three months (either for business or tourist purposes), foreigners from a number of countries need to be in possession of a visa. There is an extended list of visa-duty countries that changes every three years.

Most foreigners also need to be in possession of the MVV Visa, provided by the Dutch embassy or consulate in the transferee's home country. An MVV is a national visa in the form of a sticker in your passport. Exempted from MVV duty are EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Australia, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Switzerland and Monaco.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Foreigners who need visas must request them in person at the Dutch embassy or consulate in their home country. Required documents are a passport and an invitation letter from your employer in the Netherlands. This letter should state your name and date of birth, the purpose of your visit, your passport number, a description of the relation between you and the company and a guarantee regarding the possible costs made by your visit.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Yes, although a spouse needs his or her own work permit. Crown Rotterdam can explain in detail which rules apply in your case.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
A passport and/or driver's license are the main forms of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
Upon move-in, register with your municipality. The Aliens Police in your municipality will also issue your residence permit.

Documents needed for registering with the municipality and for obtaining a work permit include:

  • passport
  • employment contract
  • work permit (if required)
  • proof of valid health insurance
  • employer's statement (werkgeversverklaring)
  • 2 color passport photos
  • birth and marriage certificates (please check with Crown Rotterdam to determine if these documents require legalization)
  • rental contract

↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Do not bring weapons or drugs into the Netherlands.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Be sure to extend your permits before they expire.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.