Seattle, WA Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. In most cases, a visa is required to enter the United States. As a visa holder, you're entitled to most basic rights (except the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature). The U.S. government permits citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa; to determine whether or not you are required to have a visa for entry, please contact your nearest consulate or embassy, check online or just ask Crown San Francisco.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
There are different types of visas available, depending on your purpose for entering the United States. Please review the lists below for the types of visas available. We strongly recommend that you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization Service for further details. You may also contact Crown San Francisco or go online to get more information.

Visa Types for Visitors:

  • Business
  • Tourist/visitor
  • Exchange visitors
  • Students
  • Media and Journalists
  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa Types for Permanent Residents:

  • Immediate relatives
  • Special immigrants
  • Family-sponsored
  • Employer-sponsored

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
The United States has updated its visa policies because of increased security and, most recently, due to the global economic crisis. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate or embassy or an immigration attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you will want to be certain that it is done correctly and legally so that no mistakes are made. If you need further assistance, please contact Crown San Francisco.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Typically, a partner is not entitled to work, but there are some instances where they are allowed to apply for a work permit. For more information, contact your attorney or Crown San Francisco.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
Upon arrival, you should apply for a Social Security card, which can be obtained at a local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used for tax purposes and to distinguish you from other people who bear the same or similar name.

You should also apply for a photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (either a driver's license or simple ID). Your passport is also a valid form of identification. In addition, your birth certificate and an international driver’s license can be used as identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
If you plan to work in the U.S., the most important thing to secure after you get settled is a Social Security card. For further information, contact your local consulate or embassy.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Please contact Crown for complete assistance and ease of importing effects. Items that are prohibited include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of media, endangered animals and animal products, unprocessed plants or livestock products, firearms (unless permitted), hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products made by forced labor and switchblade knives.

Alcohol and motor vehicles also have specific restrictions: One liter of an alcoholic beverage may be brought in, free of duty and internal revenue tax, for personal use. Quantities above the one-liter limit are subject to duty and internal revenue tax. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety to air pollution control standards. Foreign-purchased vehicles must meet U.S. safety and emission specifications in order to be allowed to import.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
As long as your visa is valid and you are in good standing, your stay should not be questioned. Please contact Crown if you have any questions.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.