As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter Singapore, even though many can stay up to 30-90 days without a visa. You must subsequently apply for a relevant permit from the Immigration Department to live and work in Singapore.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

An Employment Pass (EP) is for those who intend to carry out work activities in Singapore. This is sponsored by the local company you will be working for. Non-working spouses and children will be granted Dependent Passes (DP).

Partners or common-law spouses, parents and adopted children can apply for the Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).

Please contact Crown office for the most current list of nationals that require a separate entry visa prior to entry to Singapore.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

For the Employment Pass, Dependent Pass and Long-Term Social Visit Pass applications, Crown Singapore can provide full assistance and guide you through the application process.
  • Employment Pass (EP) - You'll need to provide a passport, copies of your highest academic and/or professional qualifications, completed application forms and passport photos.

  • Dependent Pass (DP)- Spouse needs to provide a passport, marriage certificate (if married), birth certificates (for children only) and completed application forms.

  • Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTVP) - You'll need to provide a passport, documents that detail the relationship of the applicant to the Employment Pass holder and application forms.

  • Entry Visas - Apply for an Entry Visa through the Singapore Embassy in the country of departure or country of origin.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Yes, a spouse is able to work while holding a valid Dependent Pass provided a Letter of Consent from the Ministry of Manpower is granted.

If a spouse finds a suitable job - and there are plenty of recruitment agencies in Singapore - the employer can also sponsor the spouse for an Employment Pass.

Non-working partners often participate in volunteer work. Many people in Singapore's expat communities are involved with activities along with their fellow countrymen. Non-working partners who are also parents can join the committees of the various international schools.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

In addition to your Employment Pass, Dependent Pass or Long-Term Social Visit Pass card, your passport is an accepted form of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

Once you have obtained your Employment Pass, Dependent Pass or Long-Term Social Visit Pass card, you do not need to apply for any other permit. However, you may want to notify your embassy of your address and contact details in Singapore.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Do not bring items normally considered to be contraband, such as drugs, guns, knives, pornography and narcotics. You should also be careful bringing in videos, as these may be screened for offensive content by the censorship board. Owners of pirated copies of DVDs/VCDs may also be subjected to huge fines.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

You are required to have a return air ticket if you are entering Singapore without an approval letter for any of the above resident passes. Remember to verify the number of days you are allowed to stay in Singapore. This date will be stamped in your passport.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result.