What are the items that I should bring with me because they’re not available (or are too expensive) where I am going?
Australian Quarantine places heavy restrictions on the foods that can be imported into the country, in particular, spices, wheat, meat, poultry and dairy-based foods. Therefore, you're advised to not bring any food products into Australia. This shouldn't pose a problem, as Sydney has a very large range of supermarkets and specialty food stores where you are bound to find your favorite delicacies.
↑ Top

Will anyone have particular trouble finding clothes that fit?
This shouldn't be a problem, as Sydney and its surroundings have a number of large department stores and clothing boutiques.
↑ Top

What grocery stores do expats in your city shop at?
Expatriates usually do their grocery shopping in their local neighborhoods. Major grocery chains include Woolworths, Coles and IGA.

Local suburban shopping centers may also have small supermarkets and local corner stores known as milk bars. Delicatessens supply specialist foodstuffs, meats and cheeses from local producers and from many countries around the world.↑ Top

Where can other household items (such as cleaning materials and home furnishings) be found?
Home-cleaning materials may be purchased at your local supermarket. Home furnishings may be found in large department stores such as Myers and David Jones or at specialty furnishing stores such as Harvey Norman, Domain, Freedom, IKEA, Guests and Dare Gallery.
↑ Top

What are factors that might affect my shopping habits in this country/city?
Standard shopping hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Extended shopping hours generally apply for pre-Christmas shopping.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.